Sunday, October 21, 2007

‘Venice’




I am lucky enough to have been to the real Venice. However, these two weeks, I have also visited some really incredible actions in the other ‘Venice’. Mainly all these ‘venices’ serve only one purpose, to fill our stomach!

One boat after another passed by or stopped to carry their ‘good’s with a ‘fishing net’ to the customers by the deck. From teh tarik to Kuey Teow, pop corns (an exceptional item that is thrown), the floating market sellers busy cooking on their wooden boat, making the sell of the day.

I thought I am proud of the varieties of the food that I have tried in Malaysia, but as I entered the buzz of another floating market in Wan Nam Pheung, my eyes popped! From Chinese dim sum to some nyonya-like coconut cakes, Cookies, food wrapped in leaves, my colleagues took me from one stall to another TRYING the food.

Looking at the Chinese Thais, more questions came about: How could they remain their traditions and food but not their mother tongue? As the worst hokkien speaker, people are still pretty amazed I could understand ” ku di gor “ “Jiak ba beh?”

No comments: