Sunday, October 21, 2007

Third World Country and my childhood:

Ever remember how the tools in our house has advanced into those we have now? Microwave oven, Cleaning Machine, Electric Stool, Vacuum Cleaner replacing the feather duster, fire stool, coals, bamboo sweeps, rattan baskets… Things can be really clean and shinny!

I was once told, “Thailand is too third world for me, I came here because of the cheap living expenses.”

The world third world reminds me of my childhood. After all, we progressed from there. When I was four, I watched my grandparents swept the dirt with bamboo sweeps and feather dusters; I am still hearing rattan sticks hitting on my hands from primary school and my naughty days. Once in a while during Chinese New Year, I will see neighbors opposite back in my hometown making cookies with coal on the fire stool.

So whenever I see a bicycle full of bamboo baskets rides by, I will ask myself, “What’s wrong with third world?”

No comments: