Sunday, May 18, 2008

Survivors!!(click)

Everybody thought I would cry myself out after experiencing this incident: ten ten ten ten...
yeah...I was bitten by a dog!!

8 doses of injection all together, plus taking care of the seemingly horrible deep scratch. Yet I have seen more severe cases these few days...

Sai chun, a kid who survived being in a rubbish dump for years, was announced by the doctor, that there is no hope for his eyes...He is going to school for the blind next Tuesday, learning braille, and he is excited about it.

The slum community has to survive the price inflation of the Rice, even the 5 year-old kindergarten kids were discussing about it!

A dear friend of my friend, who was always the smartest and top of the class, was put into coma two years ago after a motorcycle incident, could only blink his eyes. Today I saw him walking and talking to his best friends in a wedding, catching up the old days. Although he still speaks slowly and unable to read or write, he is determined to be a normal person again.

The kids at mercy don't get much pocket money, but I am lucky enough to see how they got extra money, by trading their favourite toy under one's pillow for 50 baht with the other kids. They sealed the deal quietly, skillfully, quickly!

Jodie and Misty are not worry bout adapting in Bangkok, rather how different they will be when they go back home. I wonder the same applies to me, seems that I have to work it out one more time.

'The Eagles catching little chicks' game that we used to play back home, it is called the " Father kidnapping child " here.

Hope there will be more survivors in Burma and China!

After making Sago cake with the AIDS patients, I got to know the patients so much more and we became close friends. However, the hospice is not an area of long stay. Those who got healthier will go home. I have to say goodbye to some of them next week. They are the survivors for the decease since they are able to live a relatively normal life compare to the rest.

Galong , a down-syndrome man in his 40s came back from the other province of Thailand. He got skinnier because he is missing his house father of 15 years, the elder boys home had been dismissed, due to attitude problems and he has lost his family. He has to stay with the younger boys now.

M, a mercy 1 kid who is in temple due to attitude problems, stole from a monk's room! He will stay in detention in the temple ...

We finally put up a workshop with Jodie teaching about how to help kids with autism. I tried to translate some of it and left the rest to the more experienced nurse. A success I think!

Hope you may find these survivor stories inspiring for you too!

No comments: