Thursday, November 12, 2009

Universitat de Barcelona( UB)



Since Dartmouth Study Abroad Program has been so well run in the past few decades, few of us rarely have to worry about anything at all. The excursions are well planned, we have Dartmouth students studying together with us, which means we do not really have the need to go out to the 'wild'.

However, after attending the UB international Orientation, I realized I have been inside the Dartmouth bubble even though I'm studying in UB! It was a very formal ceremony, where we were seated in the Para-nymph Hall of UB oldest historical building, well decorated with big murals and glorious marks of history. The first speech is actually about the hall itself, where the speaker introduce the meaning of every painting, the latin words on the wall, and the names and portraits in the hall( including king Alfonso, and the first female doctorate). Its a formal invitation for the international student, announcing the identity and purpose of this long standing institution for more than 500 years. I felt like I was sitting in a Basilica Cathedral because the wooden benches are just like the ones I have seen in the Cathedral. The speaker spoke in a special balcony so everyone could see him, giving him some sort of authority and poise.

I am not surprise when they said that the majority of the students are from Europe and Italy have the most students here. I looked around and see all new faces, who probably are just starting to adjust their life in Barcelona, when mine is almost ending. If I were to be just another student attending this University, these international students would have been my friends, some even best friends, family. But because I am with Dartmouth, I do not need to reach out. Even if I want to, there's really few rooms to float around. Everything is arranged.

I left early,right before their group picture....somehow I do not feel like I supposed to be in that group photo....

No comments: