Thursday, February 26, 2009

How can I forget about the drumming that I love so much?

As I was looking at clips of the jamming of the electric guitars, I was thinking about my drumming.

In my opinion, the contrast and harmonizing of the rhythms in drumming portrays a conversation more than a self-expression. Drumming in different tones shows two or more people talking: they are not fighting, but just trying to be peace with each other.
When one drum is loud, the others try to be softer. They never try to outshine one another. No matter how different their tones sound, together they are harmonizing and conveying the drummer’s emotion. No drum can be outstanding without the help from the other drums. One
tone does not produce music; Music needs multiple tones.

As I watched people of different races and background come together for the Woodstock concert, I was imagining the harmonious rhythm produced by the different sets of drum. They are adapting to each other tones, always looking out at the other players before deciding when is their turn to join. Rhythms are added to attract but not distract, inspire but not interrupt.

When it s your turn to play, everybody else will remain silent. In jamming, all drummers are equal: they take care of each other and make sure everybody is heard.

No comments: