Thursday, January 22, 2009

"-ISH"

I find "-ish" very amusing . It's a very slang word, so I have to hang around long enough to realize how frequently do Americans use it.

Especially in my dancing class, my teacher will say, " so you do this, and then stretch your hands to this position, and pose, get it? -ISH? "

Guess everybody understand that it means " you almost get it? "
You can also frame it as an answer, such as, " Do you get what I mean?" " -ish(almost)."
Sometimes I get crazy over this phrase, cause even if you understand only the tip of the iceberg, you can still say "-ish", therefore it is never a good measure to know whether he or she understand the question.

I got miserable handing in my Math homework lately because the question does not only ask for an answer ( which is usually numerical), usually there is an additional question of " Explain why."
In "Asia", whatever, I was taught to just plug in formulas and that's it. you got the answer. However, this American system of Math requires you to FULLY understand Mathematics ( including the history and how the formula came about ), you need to write 50 words after an answer to prove you totally get it.

At this moment, I wish I could write : The answer is 2a + b, -ish.

No comments: